Food & Health
Food & Health
« return to recipe home
To print this recipe, please cancel this dialog box and click the "Printer Friendly" button above the recipe.
Yellow Split Pea Won Tons
1 package of won ton wrappers, round or square
1 cup split peas, yellow or green
1 can coconut milk
1 cup water or stock
1 cup yellow onion, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger grated
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
Pinch of turmeric
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro minced
1 Tablespoon Thai basil, slivered
¼ cup grated carrots
2 each scallions, slivered
Lime zest if available
2 tsp Kosher Salt
¼ tsp Black pepper, fresh ground ideally
1 quart Grape seed or vegetable oil for frying
In a medium sauce pan on Medium high add vegetable oil, onions and 1 tsp of the salt and sauté onions for 3 minutes until just caramelizing. Turn down to medium low and add garlic, ginger and minced mushrooms
Add water or stock, split peas, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 20 minutes then add grated carrot and cook until peas and carrots are tender.
Puree 2/3 of the mixture then add back the remaining split peas, fresh herbs and slivered scallions. Adjust seasoning and cool mixture for one hour or ideally overnight.
FORMING THE WONTONS:
2. Lay with the point of the wrapper facing 12 and 6 o’clock
3. Add 2 teaspoons of the filling in the center of the wrapper
4. Wet one half of the wrapper just along the edge. Fold the other side over and pinch out the air
5. Crisscross the corners over each other and place on parchment, wax paper or a pan lined with corn starch.
6. proceed to the next until all are stuffed
7. At this point, freeze or fry in a pot of oil at 350 degrees
8. Once golden brown, remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
9. Serve with sauce of your choice. A Thai peanut sauce or sweet chili sauce such as May Ploy would both compliment this flavor combination.
Servings Per Container
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value *
* Percentage Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Calories per gram:
Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • Protein 4
View all sponsors