Food & Health
Food & Health
« return to recipe home
To print this recipe, please cancel this dialog box and click the "Printer Friendly" button above the recipe.
Choc Full of Lentil Cake Pops
1 1/4 cups USA Red Chief lentil puree*
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups of your favorite frosting – homemade or canned
2 bags chocolate candy melts
Sprinkles, cookie crumbs or diced nuts for decoration
* To make USA Red Chief lentil puree, bring 3/4 cup of Red Chief lentils to a boil in 2 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid. Add 1/4 cup of lentil liquid back into lentils. Puree in a blender or food processor. Yields about 1 3/4 cups. (Excess puree can be frozen.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8″ or 9″ round cake pans.
2. Beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together for 2 minutes. Add lentil puree and vanilla to the creamed mixture. Mix for 1 minute.
3. Sift the dry ingredients, add to the batter, and beat for 2 minutes on high speed.
4. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly.
5. Remove from oven and turn out onto cooling racks. Cool completely.
6. Once cool, add cake to a large bowl and crumble.
7. Mix in frosting a little bit at a time until well-combined.
8. Form mixture into cake balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
9. Melt chocolate candy melts according to package instructions
10. Dip the tip of each lollipop stick into the chocolate candy melts and insert into cake balls.
11. Freeze for 15-20 minute and then dip cake balls into the remaining chocolate candy melts until fully covered.
12. Dip in sprinkles, cookie crumbs or diced nuts while the candy coating is still wet.
Servings Per Container
20 cake pops
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value *
* Percentage Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Calories per gram:
Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • Protein 4
View all sponsors