Food & Health
Food & Health
« return to recipe home
To print this recipe, please cancel this dialog box and click the "Printer Friendly" button above the recipe.
Split Pea Bruschetta
2 cups dried split peas, yellow or green
4 cups water
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced fine
1 Tablespoon Shallots, minced
2 teaspoons tarragon, fresh minced
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 sweet potatoes
Grape seed or vegetable oil
Fresh ground pepper
1. In a medium sauce pan on medium heat, sauté half the shallots in oil with 2 teaspoons kosher salt until just starting to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 3 minutes more
2. Add water and split peas and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes until very tender but not mush.
3. Remove half the mixture and cool while then remaining split peas cook until falling apart and no liquid remains.
4. Mix the cooled and overcooked mixture together and add remaining minced shallots, tarragon, lemon zest and juice. Season with Salt and pepper and chill the mixture while you prepare the sweet potatoes. This part can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.
SWEET POTATO CHIPS: Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Slice very thin, about 1/16th of an inch
2. Spread sliced sweet potato in a single layer on an oiled sheet pan and brush with oil
3. Season sweet potato slices with kosher salt and ground cumin.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes until edges are crispy and golden brown. Keep your eye on these, they like to turn from golden brown to overcooked quickly.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Top each slice with a bit size dollop of the pea mixture, garnish with a dash of sour cream or goat cheese and fresh chives and lemon zest or fresh ground black pepper Prep Time: 20 minutes including assembly of the bruschetta
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Servings Per Container
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat
% Daily Value *
* Percentage Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Calories per gram:
Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • Protein 4
How to prepare pulses
View all sponsors